Monday, March 12, 2012

Animals and moral of the society



A recent talkshow in Singapore about animal welfare has recaptured my attention on the issue. One of the talkshow guests has mentioned about how the moral of the society can be seen in its treatment of the animals around. This statement resembled closely of what I remembered that the great Mahatma Gandhi of India once said "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which animals are treated"  it followed by "I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."

I believe that a moral status and progress of a society can truly be evaluated by its treatment of the animals, and so does how the society treats its senior citizens and the elderly.

Eventhough I don't go as far as everyone must be vegetarians but I do strongly believe that all animals must be treated well and taken good care of whilst they are living under our care and responsibility.

While pet animal welfare is by far getting the most attention and greatest awareness, farm animal welfare and laboratory animal welfare still have a long to go for some developing nations and societies.

I think I have posted an article in my blog somewhere sometime ago about the correlation of statistics between the numbers of domestic violence and animal abuse. The higher the numbers of animal abuse correlated positively with the number of domestic violence.

Anyway, thats all for now. As human created in the image of God, we shouldn't take for granted and abuse all creatures of God whether big or small.

God bless us and all the He has created :)

Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment